To make these yourself you will need:
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
150g cheese, grated (I used mature cheddar)
50ml olive oil
2 tsp marmite - but do as much or as little as you like
3 spring onions chopped very small (optional)
1/2 tsp mustard (optional)
* Heat the oven to 180oC / 160oC fan
* In a large mixing bowl, add your sifted flour and baking powder,
cheese and spring onions (again optional) and make a well in the centre
* In a measuring jug, place the oil, milk and egg and beat well
* Then add your marmite and mix and add a dash of mustard if you want to
* Pour in your wet ingredients - the marmite may well stick to the bottom of the jug so make sure you get it all out
* Mix until the dry ingredients are coated, but be careful not to over mix too much
* Divide the mixture into your muffin/cake tin (I made cup cake size ones for Burton)
* Top each one with some more grated cheese (being careful not to eat so much of it that Mummy had to grate more!)
* Cook in the oven for about 15- 20 minutes depending on whether you are making muffins or cakes! Ensure your knife comes out clean to know they are cooked.
*They taste really nice - I would probably not bother with the spring onions or mustard next time, it wasn't that they weren't nice it's just that I think just cheese and marmite would have been tasty enough.
* They are best served warm and would keep for about 3 days and they will freeze too.
As usual my fussy boy wouldn't try one, it's as well me, Daddy and Grandad enjoyed eating them!
Ah well I will keep trying!